Letters to Strangers (L2S) is a global youth-run 501(c)(3) nonprofit seeking to destigmatize mental illness and increase access to affordable, quality treatment for youth aged 13 to 24*.
- Founded by Princeton student Diana Chao, this global movement has been recognised by multiple celebrities such as Camila Cabello and Shawn Mendes, and now, it has a branched-out chapter IN NEW ZEALAND!
Our motto: We want mental health made personal, because each person deserves to be treated as the individual they are. No one's identity should be buried beneath statistics. Indeed: often there is nothing greater than a person-to-person human connection.
L2S New Zealand thrives to connect high school students across Aotearoa, to encourage many to share their stories, and most importantly, develop leadership opportunities at your local school/communities. Within the first month of L2SNZ, we have recruited passionate students that advocate our initiative at schools in Auckland, Wellington and the Bay of Plenty. And now, we are delighted to invite YOU into the action. Start a L2S club at school, or incorporate one of our letter exchange programmes in your local community, and make it a life-long CV worthy experience. Here at L2SNZ, you will be well supported by staff members, and we have plenty of resources for you to provide the best help we can give!
- We are looking for: **
- Young advocates in high school age 13-19 that want to make a change in the world
- Gap year students welcome
- Be resilient, and able to actively engage with our programmes
- Be able to start a club or a letter-exchanging event at their own school
- You don't need to have any past experience related to this programme (also if you do, that's highly valued as well), we will support you all the way!
- We will also help you to build your confidence in organising club events and public speaking. As long as you have the ambition to be the beginning of an action and to be a founder of an L2SNZ chapter, you are qualified!
Contact us to get involved with all sorts of incredible things that will be made possible here in our own communities through us, by YOU.