Why we need you? Totara Hospice’s vision is to honour living and dignify dying. We do this by providing leading edge hospice palliative care services to eligible individuals living with life limiting illnesses, their families, caregivers and communities in South and South East Auckland
You don’t need specific retail skills - we will provide you with the support and advice you need to do this role. -An interest in people and providing customer service with a friendly, helpful and courteous attitude. -A flexible attitude and ability to take on varied tasks.
- A genuine willingness to be part of a team and be able to take direction. Whilst also being able to take initiative and work independently.
- Sensitivity, understanding and respect for our multicultural community.
- There is light lifting and the requirement to be on your feet for reasonable lengths of time so a comfortable fitness level to manage this.
- Reliability to your volunteer commitment.
- Basic computer skills would be helpful
What will you be doing? There are a range of tasks that need to be done in our shops including:
- Sorting donations of pre-loved clothes, bric-a-brac, furniture, and preparing them for sale sometimes hanging, sizing, steaming and labelling as well.
- Keeping stock rotating and the shop clean and tidy.
- If confident too, helping at the counter with sales with cash handing and use of EFTPOS.
- To assist and serve customers.
What support will we give you? We will provide all the training you need to feel comfortable and confident in the role.
- Experienced volunteers in the team who will be available when you need help.
- Ongoing support from our Volunteer services team.
What benefits do you get?
- Interested in furthering your career? We provide you with on the job training and offer the option to work towards obtaining a certificate in retail (Level 3).
- A chance to work in a friendly team, and an opportunity to make new friends and meet a group of diverse people.
- If you are looking for valuable work experience you can add onto into your CV.
- Wonderful student opportunity to show your commitment to volunteering.
- Most importantly the satisfaction to Make Hospice Happen and supporting the belief of the Totara Hospice team that even though dying is inevitable, dying unsupported is unacceptable.
*Tōtara Hospice as an organisation does not conscientiously object to anyone accessing their rights under the End-of-Life Choices Act that passed into law on November 7th 2021. Our focus will remain, as it always has been, on delivering to the needs of our patients and whānau. We will respect and support patients who choose this option.
We look forward to hearing from you soon :)