Why we need you? Totara Hospice’s vision is to honour living and dignify dying. We do this by providing leading edge hospice palliative care services to eligible individuals living with life limiting illnesses, their families, caregivers and communities in South and South East Auckland.
We need your help to be able to continue to provide all our services free of charge – and our Hospice Charity Shops are integral to being able to do this, as they turn pre-loved donated items into funds to support hospice. We are recruiting now! Come and join our fabulous fun volunteer team!
What skills and attributes do we hope you can share with us? You don’t need specific retail skills - we will provide you with the support and advise you need to do this role.
- An interest in people and providing customer service with a friendly, helpful and courteous attitude.
- A flexible attitude and ability to take on varied tasks.
- A genuine willingness to be part of a team and be able to take direction. Whilst also being able to take initiative and work independently.
- Sensitivity, understanding and respect for our multicultural community.
- There is light lifting and the requirement to be on your feet for reasonable lengths of time so a comfortable fitness level to manage this.
- Reliability to your volunteer commitment.
What will you be doing? There are a range of tasks that need to be done in our shops including:
- Sorting donations of pre-loved clothes, bric-a-brac, furniture, and preparing items for sale sometimes hanging, sizing, steaming and labelling as well.
- Keeping stock rotating and the shop clean and tidy.
- If confident too, helping at the counter with sales with cash handing and use of EFTPOS.
- To assist and serve customers.
What support will we give you? We will provide all the training you need to feel comfortable and confident in the role.
- Our Shop Managers are there to advise and assist you, there will also be other experienced volunteers in the team who will be available when you need help.
- Ongoing support from our Volunteer services team.
What benefits do you get?
- A chance to work in a friendly team, and an opportunity to make new friends and meet a group of diverse people.
- Valuable work experience and new skills that you can add onto your CV.
- Wonderful student opportunity to show your commitment to volunteering.
- Most importantly the satisfaction to Make Hospice Happen and supporting the belief of the Totara Hospice team that even though dying is inevitable, dying unsupported is unacceptable. We look really forward to hearing from you.