About this opportunity
Why we need you?
Totara Hospice’s vision is to honour living and dignify dying. We do this by providing leading edge hospice palliative care services to eligible individuals living with life limiting illnesses, their families, caregivers and communities in South and South East Auckland.
Our new café will provide a place for our patients, families, volunteers, staff and local community to gather, chat, have a coffee, and a bite to eat. This is especially important for people who are facing a life-changing family event, to enjoy a piece of ‘normality’ in their day.
What skills and attributes do we hope you can share with us?
Café experience would be an advantage but not essential - we will provide you with the support and advise you need to do this role.
- A vibrant, outgoing and strong commitment to providing customer service with a friendly, helpful and courteous attitude.
- Till/money handling experience
- A flexible attitude and ability to take on varied tasks.
- A genuine willingness to be part of a team and be able to take direction. Whilst also being able to take initiative and work independently.
- Sensitivity, understanding and respect for our multicultural community.
- Reliability to your volunteer commitment.
What will you be doing?
There are a range of tasks that need to be done in our cafe including:
- Customer service/meet and greet
- Taking orders and helping at the counter with sales with cash handing and use of EFTPOS
- Clearing and cleaning of tables and the café area
- Dishes and general cleaning
- Food handling, stock control, stock re-ordering, waste management
- Basic computer skills would be helpful
What support will we give you?
We will provide all the training you need to feel comfortable and confident in the role.
- Our Café Manager will be there to advise and assist you, there will also be other experienced volunteers in the team who will be available when you need help.
- Ongoing support from our volunteer services team.
What benefits do you get?
- A chance to work in a friendly team, and an opportunity to make new friends and meet a group of diverse people.
- If you are looking for valuable work experience you can add onto into your CV.
- Wonderful student opportunity to show your commitment to volunteering.
- Most importantly the satisfaction to Make Hospice Happen and supporting the belief of the Totara Hospice team that even though dying is inevitable, dying unsupported is unacceptable.
We look forward to hearing from you.
10-1pm week daysInterested in
- Food Preparation & Service
- NZ Police Vetting
Full training to ensure you feel comfortable and confident in your role.