About this opportunity
Why we need you?
Totara Hospice’s vision is to honour living and dignify dying. We do this by providing leading edge hospice palliative care services to eligible individuals living with life limiting illnesses, their families, caregivers and communities in South and South East Auckland. All of our services are provided free of charge, being able to continue to do this means we cannot survive without the help of Volunteers.
The volunteers in our In Patient Unit team provide caring support to our patients and their families/whanau who are needing the services of the In Patient Unit.
What skills and attributes do we hope you can share with us?
You don’t need medical skills - we will provide you with the support and advise you need to do this role.
- A genuine interest in people and providing an understanding compassionate environment to support our experienced clinical teams.
- A flexible attitude and ability to take on varied tasks.
- A genuine willingness to be part of a team and be able to take direction. Whilst also being able to take initiative and work independently.
- Sensitivity, understanding and respect for our multicultural community, and also for the journey each patient and family is travelling.
- Reliability to your volunteer commitment.
What will you be doing?
We need you to help with the below support services allowing specialist staff to focus on palliative care and medical needs.
- Helping to serve drinks and meals.
- Interactions with patients and their families, possibly providing a listening ear and companionship, whilst being sensitive to everyone’s needs.
- Helping with light housekeeping duties in kitchen and patient rooms.
- Varied tasks supporting the medical team to deliver care for our patients.
How will we support you?
- We will provide all the training you need to feel comfortable and confident in the role.
- Our House Services and In Patient Unit Clinical teams are there to advise and assist you, there will also be other experienced volunteers in the team who will be available when you need help.
- Ongoing support from our Volunteer services team.
What benefits do you get?
- A chance to work in a friendly team, and an opportunity to make new friends and meet a group of diverse people.
- If you are looking for valuable work experience you can add onto into your CV.
- Most importantly the satisfaction to Make Hospice Happen and supporting the belief of the Totara Hospice team that even though dying is inevitable, dying unsupported is unacceptable.
Totara House and our In Patient Unit is open 7 days and we have flexible shifts available morning, afternoons and evenings – and we have free on-site parking.
We look forward to hearing from you.
2-4 hour shifts morning, afternoon or evening available and on call.Interested in
- Companionship & Social Support
- Food Preparation & Service
- NZ Police Vetting
All the training you need to feel comfortable and confident in the role, including orientation and on-the-job training