About this opportunity
1. Unpacking and sorting clothing from large bales of donations,keeping good quality clothing and discarding unsalable items.
2. Check donations for defects such as missing buttons, broken zippers or stains.and to determine if items are damaged. Interest in sustainability and fashion is desirable, but not vital.
This can be a demanding role but rewarding. There is no customer contact but you will be with staff and other volunteers in a fun and busy environment.
3. Sort items in an orderly manner on hangers or shelves so that our shop managers can access them with ease.
1. Good communication skills but English as a second language is no barrier to volunteering in this role.
2. Willing to be a great cleaning and tidying person!
3. Eye for detail and knowledge of fabrics, current fashion styles/brands or vintage items would be a bonus! No problem to learn all this on the job.
1. A passion to be involved with one of Wellington’s oldest charities, and a great desire to give back to the community by helping those in need. All abilities are welcomed, and there is scope to be involved in our Wellington Vinnies events and other community programmes
2. Good physical health, as it does involve standing and bending and use of stairs.
3. To be reliable and punctual, with hours attending to be agreed -morning and/or afternoon shifts can be selected and are available, Monday to Friday.
3 hours per week minimum, at times to suit the volunteer.Good for
- Group volunteering (10+)
- Travelling/short term volunteers
- Volunteers with limited English
- Work Experience
- Companionship & Social Support
- Fundraising & Events
- Retail & Sales
- Second Language
- Trades & Maintenance
All direction provided by the Manager