Purpose of position
The purpose of all Youthline Officer roles is to contribute to the effective and efficient governance and management of the organisation, and support paid staff and volunteers in fulfilling their roles. This is outlined more fully in the Youthline Constitution, which is available on request.
The role of the Chairperson is to:
- provide overall strategic leadership to Youthline and the governance group, including:
- prioritising the governance role;
- insuring a clear strategic direction for Youthline;
- ensuring Youthline is managed effectively, including in terms of financial health and other risks;
- driving officer recruitment and succession planning; and
- ensure smooth running of governance and committee meetings with support from the Secretary;
- appraise officer performance against Youthlines strategy and promote good governance among fellow officers and leading governance development;
- provide supervision and support to the Manager (where applicable);
- act as a spokesperson for Youthline where appropriate; and
- together with all officers, responsible for ensuring that Youthline is run in accordance with its rules and the requirements of applicable laws, including the Incorporated Societies Act and the Charities Act.
The role of the Deputy Chairperson is to support the Chairperson in achieving the above.
Expectations All Officers are expected to:
- Be committed to Youthlines vision, mission and values
- Represent Youthline in a manner consistent with our vision, mission, values and policies
- Consider how Youthlines role will be shaped by social, economic and environmental trends
- Develop and maintain respectful relationships with Youthlines members, paid staff, volunteers and stakeholders
- Regularly review Youthlines activities and seek feedback on our performance
- Encourage group decision-making and sense of shared purpose
- decision-making will be by consensus wherever possible
- Have skills and experience relevant to Youthline and our mission
- Be committed to your role as a kaitiaki of Youthline
Accountabilities The key accountabilities and responsibilities for an Officer are to:
- Participate in the development of the Youthline strategic plan
- Attend and participate in Committee meetings, and any relevant sub committees
- Raise ideas and concerns, and suggest priorities consistent with the vision, mission and values of Youthline
- Actively participate in the review/development of organisational policies
- Take an active interest in Youthline through participation in events, workshops and other meetings
- Support the Manager, the other Officers, and all other staff and volunteers of Youthline
- Make areas of interest and expertise known to other Officers and staff and actively support work in these areas
- Ensure, together with the other Officers, Youthline meets its obligations as an incorporated society
The Chairperson and Deputy Chairpersons expected time commitment to Youthline Wellington is approximately 20 hours per month. This can increase during the months leading up to the AGM as contributing papers are discussed, written and finalised within the Officer group. Other events may occur such as human resource matters, that require more hours from time to time.
Applications If you are interested in applying, please provide a cover letter and CV to Youthline Wellingtons Manager - [email protected] by 15 October 2023.