Do you want to give back to the Akaroa community? Are you looking for a rewarding volunteer role?
Volunteering as a St John Ambulance and Events officer provides huge rewards by working on an ambulance and on community events. Your role is varied, but the focus is always on providing quality care to patients. Volunteering with St John is a great way to be involved and help your Akaroa community!
The Akaroa St John team is looking for people from all walks of life to join their dedicated team of volunteers. In return for your service, St John will provide you with NZQA recognised qualifications and an amazing opportunity to serve your community.
The Akaroa community is reliant on volunteers to provide 24/7 cover for the local first response unit.
All training is provided - All you need is a can-do attitude and a clean driver's license. Age is no barrier (unless you are under 18 years old) as long as you have a basic standard of fitness. Volunteering with St John can also be a gateway to a very rewarding career in the ambulance sector. We will give you all the support and education needed to make you safe and effective in the field.
Our Ambulance volunteers provide care and support to our patients through their journey which may start at a 111 call and end either being referred to another health care provider, treated on scene, or transported to a medical facility. As an Events volunteer you could be covering anything from local and international sports events, to school fairs or a rock concert.
Our ideal candidates are those who have a desire to help people in a compassionate and professional way, embracing the diversity our communities offers. You'll committed to continuous learning and training, and display St John's core values. Without question, you will be trustworthy and reliable, able to display excellent communication skills (written and oral), have great time management and be computer literate.
What do you need to be a volunteer?
- A full and clean NZ driver's licence, held for at least 12 months or have completed an approved NZTA advanced driving course (if full licence held for less than 12 months)
- 18 years of age or over
- New Zealand citizenship or permanent resident status
- Clean Police record
- Pass the St John assessment requirements (physical, interview, literacy/numeracy test)
- Pass pre-employment drug screening and health questionnaire
- Evidence of your Covid 19 Vaccination status in accordance with the COVID-19 Public Health Response (Vaccinations) Order 2021
What benefits do you get as a St John volunteer?
- NZQA recognised training from the leading provider of pre-hospital emergency care in the country
- Become a First Responder and able to apply to progress toward gaining the National Diploma in Ambulance if desired.
- Opportunity to work in a strong team environment alongside other skilled professionals within your community
- Gain leadership and communication skills through dealing with a broad range of people in diverse situations
- Membership of one of New Zealand's most trusted brands.
- Benefits such as discounts for St John services and products and at national and local retailers.
- Once accepted, your online and classroom training will take around 6-9 months to complete.
- Availability for regular duty and training (approximately one 12 hour shift per week and two local training session per month)
If you think you have what it takes, submit your expression of interest by Applying today
All appointments are subject to satisfactory completion of pre-employment checks including, but not limited to, drug testing, physical assessment and health check. For clinical operations roles where you are required to drive, you will be required to meet St John medical standards.
St John is required to comply with the COVID-19 Public Health Response (Vaccinations) Order 2021. This means to be considered for this role, you will need to be fully vaccinated, including having or intending to receive your Booster prior to commencement. (Booster vaccinations are required within 6 months of receiving your second vaccination.) Proof of COVID-19 vaccination will be requested as part of the recruitment process.
We welcome and encourage diversity in our workforce and adhere to best practice equal employment opportunity principles as well as commitment to delivering equitable outcomes in all aspects of our recruitment and our ways of working.
Haramai ngā tai o te āniwaniwa, he kāhui rangatira tēnei, he kāhui whakamana tāngata whaimahi, e te iti, e te rahi e.*