In 2021 we are recruiting, selecting and orientating Companion Parent so that in 2022 we can facilitate National Exchanges for New Zealand High School students with mild to moderate disabilities throughout New Zealand ie Whangarei, Auckland, Wellington, and Christchurch.
Companion Parents are local volunteers who will provide support to students while they are on their exchange. Companion Parents are responsible for the welfare, safety, and day-to-day care of the students while they are living in Airbnb accommodation.
Companion Parents are local volunteers who will provide support to students while they are on their exchange. They will: -
- Supervise all home activities of students. –
- Provide all transportation needs to access school, activities and the community.
- To ensure that a safe and hygienic home environment is maintained.
- To encourage students to participate in household chores from the chores list.
- To ensure that meals are balanced and nutritious and to grocery shop accordingly.
- To be well informed of students’ health and disability needs and ensuring they are maintained accordingly.
- To immediately attend to medical needs as they arise. –
- To act in loco parentis during the exchange
To be successful in this role you will have:
- Awareness of issues relating to youth
- Awareness/experience of disabilities
- Committed to the inclusion of young people with disabilities within the community
- Able to consider a different perspective
- Able to emotionally support a student
- Has a full drivers license and is able to drive a people mover
- Preferably holds a current First Aid Certificate
- Able to create and facilitate a family and home-like environment
In return you will receive:
• All living costs related to the role covered
• You will be provided with safe processes and procedures in relation to COVID 19,
• A fun team to work with • Speaking into the lives of young people with disabilities • Enabling the community to see how young people with disabilities can contribute to the community and their county and globally, • Contribute significantly to the changing world of intercultural exchange , in ensuring it is inclusive.
To learn more about these positions and join our Online Information Sessions, please email [email protected],org.nz for further information.