We need your help! Are you friendly and approachable? Do you enjoy meeting a wide variety of people? Are you a foodie at heart and love being in a kitchen. This is the role for you!
Totara Hospice (TH) is a supportive and caring organisation, providing palliative care services to patients and their families/whanau travelling through the journey of a life limiting illness. Supporting those living in the South and South East Auckland area. This is an exciting opportunity to join the TH team and make a difference in people’s lives by supporting them through what can be a challenging time
What skills and attributes do we hope you can share with us?
Fabulous people skills, willing and able to create a warm and friendly atmosphere.
A genuine willingness to be part of a team and be able to take direction. Whilst also being able to take initiative and work independently.
Sensitivity, understanding and respect for our diverse community.
Organised, and able to work well under pressure with a flexible attitude.
Reliability to your volunteer commitment.
Food, catering and hospitality experience is an advantage but a passion for this area is just as good as training will be provided.
What activities will I be involved in?
You will be helping our Chefs in the main kitchen by supporting them with dish washing, easy food prep – such as putting bread in the toaster, getting drinks ready for patients.
Checking of food orders coming into the kitchen and helping to put away.
Clearing patients food dishes and washing.
Supporting Cafe Aroha our onsite Café when it is busy during morning tea and lunch times.
Sometimes collecting food orders for patients for their lunches.
Helping distribute supplies to meeting rooms in the building.
What support will we give you?
- • Volunteer induction and ongoing training opportunities
- • Training given on the job and of all systems such as commercial dishwasher.
- • Ongoing support from our Volunteer services team and Hospitality team
What benefits do you get?
- A chance to work in a friendly team, and an opportunity to make new friends and meet a group of diverse people.
- The opportunity to work within a supportive integrated team environment, supporting the provision of a professional service to our community.
- Developing new skills and experiences
- Satisfaction of giving time to a local charity
- Valuable work experience and skills that you can add to your CV.
- Most importantly the satisfaction to Make Hospice Happen and supporting the belief of the Totara Hospice team, that even though dying is inevitable, dying unsupported is unacceptable.
*Tōtara Hospice as an organisation does not conscientiously object to anyone accessing their rights under the End-of-Life Choices Act that passed into law on November 7th 2021. Our focus will remain, as it always has been, on delivering to the needs of our patients and whānau. We will respect and support patients who choose this option.
Please call Trina for a chat on 09 640 0025 or email [email protected] for more information about this opportunity to really help and make a difference in your community.