The Assistant Co-Ordinator role will represent the Community Fruit Wellington brand and help encourage and manage the picking, preserving and distribution of excess backyard fruit in the Wellington region.
We are looking for someone who is reliable, looking for a longer-term commitment, has good communication skills and an ability to deal respectfully with people of all ages and backgrounds.
The Assistant Co-ordinator will:
- Ideally be Wellington city based, either in the central city, south or eastern suburbs
- Have their own car that can fit in picking tools and equipment
- Co-ordinate fruit picking activities with pickers and donors
- Go out picking – will need to be fairly fit, though you get fitter through the season
- Deliver picked/collected fruit to our distribution partners (see Travel section below for details on these)
- Have secure storage for picking equipment including picking tools/ladder(s)/gazebo/trugs etc
- Be a drop off point for jars and or/picked fruit
- Help out with fund raising events (eg Kapiti Food Fair/Harbourside Market/Newtown and Island Bay Fairs)
We would like the person to be able to commit to a minimum of 12 months so they see out a full season.
Time involved during the peak summer season is usually 1.5 days per week eg one full weekend day and one evening – but that has been because most of the team work full-time during the week. A person with more available free time could spread this involvement over different days. Summer season is usually January to March but this varies according to when the fruit ripens.
We pick fruit throughout the greater Wellington Region: Wellington City and suburbs; Porirua, Upper/Lower Hutt and the Kapiti Coast.
Drop off points are Kaibosh in Wellington/Lower Hutt/Kapiti Coast; Kapiti Foodbank;, Kiwi Community Assistance in Tawa and occasionally other Foodbanks. These organisations act as outward distribution points to charity groups in their areas.