Why we need you? Totara Hospice’s vision is to honour living and dignify dying. We do this by providing leading edge hospice palliative care services to eligible individuals living with life limiting illnesses, their families, caregivers and communities in South and South East Auckland.
We need your help to be able to continue to provide all our services free of charge – and our Hospice Charity Shops and the Distribution Centre are integral to being able to do this. In the Distribution Centre you are at the heart of the shops as you help find ‘Just the Good Stuff’ from pre-loved, donated items and turn them into funds to support hospice, help us get the right stock to our shops!
What skills and attributes do we hope you can share with us? You don’t need specific skills - we will provide you with the support and advice you need to do this role. It would be helpful to have:
- An eye for detail and appreciation of quality products, and possible understanding of brands
- A flexible attitude and ability to take on varied tasks.
- A genuine willingness to be part of a team and be able to take direction. Whilst also being able to take initiative and work independently.
- Sensitivity, understanding and respect for our multicultural community.
- There is light lifting and the requirement to be on your feet for reasonable lengths of time so a comfortable fitness level to manage this.
- Reliability to your volunteer commitment.
What will you be doing? There are a range of tasks that need to be done in the Distribution Centre.
- Sorting bags and boxes of donated pre-loved clothes, bric-a-brac, furniture, and preparing them for sale.
- Keeping stock rotating and the Distribution Centre clean and tidy.
- Working with the Retail Distribution Centre Manager to get regular stock requests out to our 6 regional charity shops.
What support will we give you?
- We will provide all the training you need to feel comfortable and confident in the role.
- Our Retail Distribution Centre Manager is there to advise and assist you, there will also be other experienced volunteers in the team who will be available when you need help.
- Ongoing support from our Volunteer services team.
What benefits do you get?
- A chance to work in a friendly team, and an opportunity to make new friends and meet a group of diverse people.
- Valuable work experience and skills that you can add onto into your CV.
- Wonderful student opportunity to show your commitment to volunteering.
- Most importantly the satisfaction to Make Hospice Happen and supporting the belief of the Totara Hospice team that even though dying is inevitable, dying unsupported is unacceptable.
Our Warehouse / Distribution Centre is located in Takanini and we have shifts available from Monday – Friday.
We look forward to hearing from you
*Tōtara Hospice as an organisation does not conscientiously object to anyone accessing their rights under the End-of-Life Choices Act that passed into law on November 7th 2021. Our focus will remain, as it always has been, on delivering to the needs of our patients and whānau. We will respect and support patients who choose this option.